One of the fastest-growing technologies is blockchain; its implications and benefits are plenty from accounting to cybersecurity and the retail industry. This includes the fashion industry which is now catching up with trends like blockchain technology making it easier from the traditional approach.
In the apparel industry, how technology expands, benefits the users, and operations adapts to digital fashion and supports efficiency and transparency. A quick glimpse of the combination of blockchain and fashion in today’s times that leads to.
Blockchain Technology in the Fashion Industry:
The evolution of fashion technology includes blockchain technology, artificial intelligence and the implications of AR and VR. However, fast fashion is designed in a way that customers can shop online and comfortably in a secure way. This action benefits the users, fashion designers and entrepreneurs to establish their unique designs.
Even if you’re pursuing in the top 10 Fashion Designing Colleges in Coimbatore or universities, then budding fashion designers acknowledge how the market evolved.
Whether you match up with the current market trends as the fashion sector is getting high attention and customers look for easy ways to wear branded clothes. Blockchain technology is one where it supports transparency and authenticity which actually enhances the specific brand sales.
Challenges in the fashion industry are resolved with blockchain tech:
The modern customer, producer, retailer, and supplier all want things to be transparent.
- An existing company’s brand value is negatively impacted by the increase in counterfeit items. Authentication of fashion products and reducing the sales of counterfeit products where today’s business are highly required. The options of scanning a QR code and NFC chip help the customers and companies whether the products are registered with the brand and blockchain helps protect the brand’s intellectual property.
- Consider the textile, the fashion sector implements blockchain technology where customers and fashion companies acknowledge the complete track, and delivery of the products from raw materials to customized products or whether they reach the brand. These ethical and environmental standards are the main aspects that today’s business supports blockchain technology. Therefore, product delivery delays damage consumer relationships and result in a decline in user engagement.
- Consumers of today must be knowledgeable about the past of items in order to verify their legitimacy. Copyright management is another aspect of using the blockchain. Fashion designers can protect their ideas, designs and apparel and receive compensation while using them. These licensing agreements are between the designers or brand companies who wish to compensate.
- Responsible consumers learn about a brand’s environmental impact when purchasing clothing, textiles, shoes, and other items. Loyalty programs with blockchain technology are now possible where the companies use tokens and promote customer retention. And today’s top brands use tokens in exchange for products or services.
- It is certain that fashion is established and encouraged globally therefore fashion companies use virtual currencies and allow international payments. This highlights the reduction of the cost and complexity of the international transactions which leads to the expansion of the new markets.
- Have you heard about digital garments? The NFT’s growth resembles and also has shades in the ownership and enjoys individuality. Technology that made it possible for consumers and other supply chain individuals to confirm the reliability of the apparel produced by the brand. The apparel things have tiny chips and accessories inserted in them so that a person may examine and ascertain whether a particular piece of clothing is genuine or not.
How do blockchain solutions transform the apparel industry?
Issues regarding counterfeiting:
Nowadays, the online counterfeiting of textiles, cosmetics, clothing and footwear has reached billions. People choose second-hand markets which are affordable and some may find it difficult to find their markets. There are chances of theft being counterfeits which is a red sign. Therefore, the need to verify the product history is quite hard and eliminate these issues.
Blockchain applies to supply chains where it helps customers track the orders from the product origins to the complete journey with the help of a chip. Therefore, customers can track the necessary information which is required to reject counterfeit products or ethically question the production units. Every stage of the manufacturing process is recorded in the label and brands to authenticate.
Blockchain allows digital fashion designers and brands to protect their intellectual property which is unique and can’t be replicated.
Today customers choose brands that are eco-friendly and 66% of consumers support the sustainable practices. For today’s brands and upcoming startups ensures that sustainability is one of the unique selling points.
In the apparel industry, achieving sustainability requires transparency and traceability. Transparency in the supply chain tracking process provides the manufacturers insights that guarantees the external supplier and final product packaging. The ability to track digital and physical products throughout the purchase lifecycle is one of the advantages in the blockchain applications in the fashion apparel industry. Now new brands and companies incorporate blockchain technology in the business where it raises the ethical and sustainable production and consumption of a product on a global scale.
And this digital ledger that records and authenticates activities is called a blockchain. The procedure gains more credibility because the ledger is inaccessible to manipulation. And maybe this will contribute to regaining some of the lost customer trust in the fashion business.
Blockchain in the fashion sector integrates the supply chain in a single digital platform. With this idea, there is no need to wait for a long time to determine the source and supply chain of the products. The other advantage is that every blockchain is recorded therefore there is no worry about the lost, altered or destroyed which is specifically plus for the business owners.
There are chances where unethical labor practices, unfair wages and complex working conditions need to be addressed. And still, some business may unnoticed or ignore these complexity and lack of transparency. Thus, blockchain technology allows brands to verify the details that suppliers or manufacturers easy to share with them. The digital ledger helps to look after whether the workers receive their fair wages and how many hours working. There are various real-time examples to say that companies incorporate blockchain technology in order to audit the manufacturing units, labour health and safety.
Better inventory management:
Fashion designing also requires more energy and a better plan to minimize waste which lessens the effect on the environment. Blockchain technology provides precise details on the amount of energy and water consumption in production. This data helps in managing inventory and consumption trends among retailers. Increased transparency also creates work pressure for manufacturers who are required to carefully assess the value chains and collaborate with legitimate businesses. Companies that are willing to implement ethical business practices and sustainability-driven initiatives must have a strong sense of purpose and a commitment to the common goal of positive effect.
Transferring ownership of digital apparel:
In recent times, as already said fashion designers are providing more options for customers while purchasing digital apparel. Because blockchain technology makes it possible to acquire digital apparel, there is no chance that product designs will be stolen, ensuring that each piece is unique. Blockchain creates solid proof with the use of trademarks. Otherwise, businesses may need to face the difficulties of both obtaining and renewing a trademark in instances of disputes or invalidity lawsuits; these trademarks save money and effort.
Future expansion of blockchain in the fashion sector:
It is a fact that blockchain has many applications in the apparel industry. The fast fashion trends in today’s market turn businesses to be more authentic, sustainable and high quality.
- Sensors provide answers for how many kgs of cotton were produced. CO2 emission generated with this material?
- Acknowledging the fashion needs which are good for the environment, people and bodies. It means discovering high levels of pollution during high-street fashion.
- There is a need to be concerned about the environment and biodiversity. This actually makes a sustainable approach to consumer purchasing habits.
- It highlights the future generations in fashion design who need to rethink the world and ensure there is no harm or impact on biodiversity.
It is possible with the approach of decentralization, security and transparency of the digital ledger/ blockchain. During the time of purchase, customers look at brand loyalty and when you find difficulties in providing the right information about the product history or features it might make the customers lose interest towards your brand.
This digital ledger is facilitating the smooth operation of the luxury and garment industries by providing more precise information, which enhances the experience for both consumers and brands. Retailers, consumers, and fashion companies can unite around a more holistic and credible set of information.
Although, there are various benefits and gains from the blockchain technology in the fashion industry. There are still unregulated standards and certifications which need to be considered in the process of developing blockchain solutions. In this scenario of implementing tech in the fashion sector, you can find the heads up while pursuing B Des Fashion Design Colleges in Coimbatore or universities in India. Since there is a future opportunity in the blockchain, traceability, and sustainability are interconnected with the markets which gives a better way to the fashion industry.
Bio: Rathika is a seasoned content marketing specialist at Karpagam Institutions, with a passion for crafting compelling narratives that resonate with audiences. Leveraging expertise in strategic content creation, She plays a pivotal role in enhancing the institution’s online presence and engaging with diverse audiences through innovative marketing campaigns.